Sea Change Yoga brings the healing power of trauma-informed yoga & meditation to all. Teaching in residential treatment facilities, community recovery centers, transitional housing facilities and correctional institutions.
our mission is to provide yoga to all marginalized populations.
Sea Change Yoga is a nonprofit yoga service organization. We bring the evidence based practices of yoga and meditation to those who have experienced trauma, are under-served and marginalized, and in need of the emotional regulation and increased physical and mental health that yoga and meditation practice provides.
We currently teach twenty-four trauma-informed yoga classes each week to over two 200 students at residential treatment facilities, community recovery centers, correctional institutions.
Our trauma-informed teaching strategies are designed to be uniquely effective for students with trauma in their background. We are modifying the elements of traditional yoga to facilitate mindfulness, maximize tolerance, build empowerment, and cultivate a more positive relationship to one’s body.
These simple, yet powerful tools of transformation reduce stress and anxiety, support the addiction recovery process, help break the cycle of substance abuse and incarceration, and so much more.
- Yoga is for everyBODY - We actively resist the common assumption that you need to have a certain body type, be a certain age, race or gender, or wear fancy yoga clothes to be a yogi.
- Yoga heals - We ground ourselves in the research that illustrates how yoga and meditation affect the brain and nervous system.
- All people deserve love and compassion - We approach people with an open mind and are curious about each person’s story and strengths.
Our team shares a set of values that help guide how we approach our work.
- Dignity - We believe in the dignity of all people. We honor each person’s unique strengths and personal story.
- Integrity - We hold ourselves to high expectations because our students deserve our best. We align our actions with our beliefs.
- Humility - We approach our work, each other and our students with humility and recognize the limits of our individual perspectives.
- Collective Action - We strive for social justice and recognize that we must work together as a community to make a difference.
This powerful seven minute video shows the impact of our work.